Thursday, January 22, 2015

Focus On Today

In my last post, I created myself a list of goals that I wanted to accomplish for the week.  One of my super-wise friends commented and made me re-think what I wrote.  She suggested that my goals were a bit too broad and should be trimmed down and focused even more.  Her exact response said this:

I think you should just put a big red line through your first goal. To say you're going to lose weight is so frickin broad. It's no wonder you're overwhelmed! I know that you know that if you do the other goals, the first will happen so why write it! Concentrate on the smaller goals and maybe even break them up into smaller goals for the day. "Today I will walk for 30 mins". "Today I will drink at least one glass of ice water". "Today I will tell myself I'm beautiful no matter what I weigh". "Today I will not weigh myself". Don't worry about tomorrow or yesterday just focus on today.

As I thought about this a bit more, I decided she was right.  I was also encouraged by the knowledge that this woman has done AMAZING things...all through hard work and motivation.  If you need motivation, you MUST check out her Facebook page.  I know her personally and I really mean it when I say she is a down to earth, "real" person.  Her pride and accomplishments are well deserved!

I did look at my list and if I'm being honest, it really just set myself up for failure.  Let's review them again, shall we?

- lose weight and earn a "star" at TOPS
- log my food EVERYDAY
- complete 30 minutes of walking, 3 times this week
- do the bedsheet workout, 2 times this week
- update my blog at least one more time

So far, the only think I have done is update my blog (with this post)

She said to put a big red line through my first goal, so here it is....

- lose weight and earn a "star" at TOPS

I have decided to make one simple, small goal to get me through until Saturday.  It is to not eat after dinner.  I have gotten into a nasty habit of snacking after dinner.  Not out of hunger by any means, but just because.  And the snack isn't something healthy like an apple...no, it's chips or ice cream or something else along those lines.  I never used to be the type to snack after dinner.  I don't feel the need for a bedtime snack unless I have had a dinner without protein and then I truly do get a feeling of hunger.  I want to go back to being like that.  So, for tomorrow, I will not eat anything after dinner.  That is it.....small, simple and something I can realistically accomplish.  I'll re-evaluate on Saturday and add a new goal.

How about you?  What is one, small simple goal you can set to get you through to the next day?

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I was brought to tears by your post. I am so overwhelmed by all your kind words and that you took my advice to heart, especially after you said that you were lacking some motivation. Obviously, you are not lacking motivation. You have all the motivation you need, you just had to figure out how to use it wisely! I also love that you used a big red line and killed that first goal. Yay! No more of that crap!

    Now, onto your goal...I love it! I love that it's only 3 days long. I love that it accomplishes something and I love that it will help you reach a further goal down the line. But for now, you focus on the next 3 days.
    If you do decide to snack after dinner during this time period, please do not call this a failure. It's not a failure. It's a learning moment. It's a time to reflect on why you snacked and not beat yourself up for it. Every moment is a new moment. If you had a weak moment, you don't necessarily need to have another weak moment. Say you go to the kitchen and open the chips and have one, it does not mean you have to have a second or third. Try to look at every moment like a new day. Each minute is a new minute and each second is a new second. Sounds crazy but it can help you stop yourself if you're doing something you don't want to be doing. On the flip side, if you don't decide to snack that evening, then celebrate! You did it! You made it through one evening without snacking. That's something to talk about and brag about!

    Hope that helps and I want to know every morning if you accomplished your evening goal. It's Facebook worthy of celebrating so I'll be tuning in!

    I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS!
    Sometimes we do overwhelm ourselves!
    I am going to try and focus on today as well... My first full day with TOPS again :)

    ReplyDelete